- TigSource DevLog
- Version History
Version 0.1.5 (Nov 27, 2015):
The goal of the game is to destroy enemy ships, collect their bounties, and use the money to repair and expand your own ship.
There is also the "Sandbox Editor", where you can design new ships or fight against already-designed ships without
needing to spend money.
The game has no in-game tutorial of any sort, so here's a little manual to get you started:
- The gameplay controls of StarWright are based upon conventions established by existing real-time strategy games
such as Starcraft.
- Pan the view using the arrow keys, or click-and-drag the middle mouse button. Use the mouse wheel or +/- keys
to zoom in and out.
- Left-click on a ship you own to select it, or drag a box around multiple ships to select all of them.
- Right-click in empty space to order the selected ships to move to that location. Right-click-and-drag to adjust
- Right click on an enemy ship to order the selected ship(s) to attack. Right-click-and-drag to adjust the distance
and angle of the attack.
- Hold shift to queue up multiple commands. While holding shift you can also adjust existing commands, or right-click
on an existing command to remove it from the queue.
- Hold alt and right-click on a specific part of an enemy ship to target that part. Hold shift while
alt-right-clicking to queue up specific parts to attack.
- Press F to focus the camera on the selected ships. Hold alt and left-click on or drag a box around any ships
to focus the camera on those ships.
- Press the button in the lower-left corner (or press the B key) to bring up the "Blueprints Editor" from where you can
modify your ship. Blueprints are only plans and modifying the blueprints will not modify your ship until
you press the "MAKE IT SO" button.
- On the bottom right are four buttons that allow you to adjust the game speed or pause the game entirely.
- On the top right is your current amount of money, and below that a list of bounties you can destroy for profit.
Use the profits you earn from destroying bounties to repair and expand your own ship.
- The game will auto-save every 10 minutes by default. You can also manually save by going into the game menu (press escape)
or quick-save by pressing F5. Press F8 to quickly load the last-saved game.
Ship Design Advice:
- Every ship must have a "Control Room". Without one you cannot give the ship any orders.
- Ships move realistically according to the position, orientation, and strength of its thrusters.
Place them in various locations around the ship to maximize maneuverability.
- Most ship systems require crew to operate. Place "Crew's Quarters" or "Crew's Bunk"
to add crew to your ship.
- Weapons require ammunition to fire. Place an "Ammo Supply" near weapons to provide them with
a steady supply of ammo. Your crew will carry ammo from the ammo supply to the weapons, so the closer
the supply is and the more crew you have, the faster your weapons will be able to fire.
- Many ship systems, such as engines and ammo supplies, require power to operate. Place a "Reactor Core"
somewhere in your ship. Your crew will carry batteries from the reactor core to the systems that require power.
- Your crew move fastest through corridors. An efficient ship will have corridors to connect distant rooms.
- Crew can only move through walls if there's a door. The editor will attempt to automatically add doors for you,
but you can manually add and remove doors the same way you add and remove parts. If a system isn't operating,
make sure that your crew can access it.
Ship Save Files:
StarWright Ship designs are saved, literally, as PNG image files of the ships inside a folder called "Ships".
The data necessary to load and play with the ship design is stored in the PNG pixel data itself.
Because of this, do not in any way alter the saved PNG file! Do not resize it or alter its pixels! Doing so will almost
certainly corrupt the file and StarWright will be unable to load the ship design from the file.
Similarly, many image-hosting websites will down-scale or decrease the quality of images. Using such websites will also
corrupt the file.